Sunday, December 4, 2011

Blood and decorations

This weekend I got a visit from an OB I haven't met yet who is consulting on my treatment. He is familiar with the vasa previa and has encountered it in his practice, so it was reassuring to talk to someone who seemed knowledgeable and confident. He was able to answer several questions for me and clarify some things I'd been unsure about. That was nice.

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH INCLUDES SEVERAL REFERENCES TO BLOOD.
I also got a new saline lock (IV access) put in my arm. I don't like having blood drawn, and I REALLY don't like getting an IV put in, but this experience has to be the worst one I've ever had with a needle. Ever. The nurse was taking several vials of blood at the same time that she was inserting the IV. Some of my blood had spilled and run down my arm (I wasn't looking, but I could feel it), the nurse had made a couple of comments along the lines of, "Wow, this one is a bleeder!" and I was already feeling nauseous and light-headed. When she was "all done" and was taping the line down, I made the mistake of looking down at my arm to see her handiwork. Just then she accidentally released the clamp on the line, and my blood started spurting back out of the IV. Oops. I was out like a light - the only time I can ever remember fainting in my life.

On a (much) lighter note, Ed brought me Christmas decorations to brighten up my hospital room. He set up a little four-foot pre-lit tree and decorated it, and put up some window clings. My nurses think he's the sweetest husband ever (it's true!) and they love him. Here is a picture of my Christmas tree and my favorite of the window decorations. Ed cut a red snowflake cling and attached it to one of the snowmen's heads to represent my hair, but it kind of looks like dreadlocks, which I don't have. I still like it.



I haven't seen Nick since last Monday, so I'm looking forward to Ed bringing him up to see me today. And I can't wait to see my mom. She'll be flying in tomorrow afternoon. I've been telling people lately that I was a little down this year because it would have been the first-ever Christmas that I haven't spent with my parents. Even during the last two years while we've lived in Virginia, Ed has taken us back to Texas for Christmas. Although it's not exactly the way I would have chosen to get it done, my hospitalization means my mom will be here with us for the holidays, and that's nice. Nick is pretty excited. I feel a little bad for my family in Texas who will have to do without my mom this month. (Not bad enough to want my mom to stay home or anything. It's just a teensy twinge of guilt. In fact, I'm over it now.)

5 comments:

  1. Aww! I love your tree! Ed is such a great hubby and you are so lucky to have him. He's been doing such an awesome job holding everything together for you and I know that must be such a relief.
    Nick was so looking forward to coming to see you. I know he had a good time on the trip but when it came time for Ed to come pick him up he was at the window every few minutes looking for him. It was awfully cute!
    I miss seeing you every week at co-op. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the baby every day. Positive thoughts, ok?
    Btw, that blood thing made me a little lightheaded just reading about it. Ewww!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEEW is right!! Glad she tied you off and applied some smelling salts!! Nice to know you didn't bleed out during her slightly off-color humor of "This one's a bleeder!"

    So glad Ed brought a little Christmas joy-to-your-world! The clings are precious....and I like your red dreads. : )

    Nick was so sweet at co-op...the closeness you two obviously share was so evident...we squeezed, hugged and loved him in every way possible. I hope you could feel it, too.

    You are in so many of my thoughts and conversations and ALL of my prayers. Keep on baking that bebe and know you are so very loved and dearly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just reading about vasovagal syncopy (fainting response) this morning! I think I'd better just stop reading stuff for fear that I'm becoming a sort of "Bedtime Story" reality.

    Yay for Ed bringing good cheer! Hope you have a great visit with Nick.

    Gee, if only your mom was arriving around midnight tomorrow, I could pick her up when I'm there for Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the little snowpeople and the red hair is adorable

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!! He is the best! Tell him I said Kudos and major brownie points with your friends :-)

    Don't feel bad about the passing out thing...I almost did the same with Lucas. By the time they finally got that last IV in, there was a huge puddle of my blood on the floor they had to get housekeeping to clean up and we changed out the blankets. Daryl said it looked like a horror movie (I wasn't about to look!) I wonder if it is really that hard to get it in right or if the nurses purposely like to inflict that much pain?;-) I was bruised for weeks!

    ReplyDelete