Since I was admitted I've been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I'd already flunked my one hour test at the doctor's office a couple of weeks ago and was scheduled to take the three hour test at my next prenatal appointment, so they went ahead and did it last Friday. I flunked that one too, and they put me on a "diabetic" diet.
You would think that a hospital would have some notion of what types of things are good for diabetic people to eat in order to control their blood sugar, but that doesn't appear to be the case here. My meals (which are all clearly marked as diabetic) consist of such foods as spaghetti, white bread, pancakes, mashed potatoes, muffins, macaroni and cheese, dinner rolls, lots of fruit (and even fruit juice) and breakfast cereal like corn flakes and rice crispies. There is usually a token protein source, such as a single egg at breakfast, a slice of turkey on that white bread at lunch, or what I assume is ground beef in the spaghetti sauce at dinner.
During the first few days while Ed was able to be with me all the time (and while I was still hoping I'd get sent home), I tried hard to keep my sugars under control. I skipped the empty carbs on my hospital food tray, and Ed was able to bring me some more appropriate foods to fill in the gaps when I got really hungry. I was able to keep my sugar pretty well within the normal range. But now that Ed has had to go back to work and I'm not seeing much of him, I have no choice but to eat the meals I'm given, and my sugar has skyrocketed over the last couple of days.
I discussed the situation with the dietitian, with my nurses, and with my doctor, and the general consensus is that this is just the best the hospital has to offer. So now I'm on insulin. It's frustrating, because I know that if I were at home I would be able to control the diabetes with diet alone. I know very well how to eat to keep my blood sugar under control, and I hate that I am not in charge of my food choices here and have to be on insulin that would be unnecessary under different conditions.
I usually try to find a bright side when I'm griping about something, but in the case of the diabetes, I'm really cranky about it, and all the bright sides I find (at least the insulin seems to be controlling my sugar okay...at least now that I'm getting used to it, the hospital food doesn't seem quite so gross...at least I'm forcibly going cold turkey on my McDonald's/Taco Bell addiction, and hospital food has to be healthier than that...) are not really helping me to be less cranky.
So in light of the fact that I've spent some time complaining about something that's pretty much out of my hands, I'll end with a few unrelated things that I am grateful for after being in the hospital for one week:
- I'm not upside down. Some women who are on hospital bed rest have to be in bed on an incline that takes pressure off of their cervix. That means their head is lower than their feet. I can't imagine doing that for a day, let alone for weeks on end. I'm thankful I don't have to.
- The internet. Through the wonders of technology, I can keep in touch with almost all my friends and family and stay up-to-date on what's happening even when I'm not physically a part of it (I will likely be annoyingly ever-present on facebook in the coming weeks). I can also do my Christmas shopping, pay my bills, download new books to read, research baby stuff, and post updates on hospital life for people to read.
- Earplugs. The sound of babies being born is so wonderful (I am listening to a baby's first cry as I type this), and it is an amazing affirmation of the miracle of life. I hear births throughout the day since I'm living in the labor and delivery ward. But listening to the affirmation of the miracle of life at 3:00 in the morning is not quite so wonderful. After one middle-of-the-night birth that sounded more like a horror movie than a joyous occasion (and was audible even with my door closed and pillows piled on my head), I thought to ask Ed for earplugs and have been blissfully happy ever since. I can sleep all night without hearing all the sounds up and down the L&D ward. I can nap during the day for longer than fifteen minutes at a time. I feel more rested today than I have felt since I got here, and the difference that makes is truly miraculous.
You have a right to complain. Do it with all the intentions you want, too. No one will judge you for it.
ReplyDeleteJust keep repeating to youself when things get tough "She's worth this... she's worth this." When she finally arrives, you'll believe it. :)
Oh that STINKS! You do not mess with a pregnant persons food! I was in there at least 4-5 times with Lucas and I can tell you that the food was barely able to be labeled as "food". Some of the nastiest...bad for you stuff out there. I really think McDonalds may be healthier than the stuff they brought to me. I think it is all part of the hospitals master plan to keep us all unhealthy so we keep coming back ;-)
ReplyDeleteOn the noise thing...not sure which hospital you are in but I learned after being in there for an extended stint with Adam that if you ask your doc they can move you to a room at the "end of the hall" (every hospital has an "end of the hall") that is the quietest place on the OB ward. They normally do not place gals in those rooms because they are farther away from the nurses hub and the nurses simply don't like all that walking some days. But it is wayyyyyy quieter. Haley and Lucas were both "end of the hall" babies cause I am a super light sleeper and knew to ask after having Adam! And ear plugs are a Godsend! Hoping to night brings you better food and sweet dreams :-)
Totally game to bring you a diabetic friendly real meal anytime!
Rant away! I have been ranting on your behalf. I have to saY how INCENSED I am about the lousy hospital food that literally makes people LESS WELL. I CANNOT believe the doctors have not forced an improvement. It's an unfathomable situation! I bet public school lunches are more nutritious than that food.
ReplyDeleteI'm writing a letter to the hospital and HCA (but I'm not sending it until you and PK are happily at home). Ooh! I'm boiling hot! There is no reason for this!
And, as I calm down, I love how you still find positive things to keep you going. You're totally terrific.
Ok. This just makes me mad. How is it that they can identify diabetes, know what is a good diet for diabetes, and not provide the correct food for diabetes IN THE HOSPITAL? If they cannot do this, why do they even NEED a dietician IN the hospital? What exactly is the dietician's function? Not blaming the dietician specifically, you understand, but a "system" that disempowers a person from using his or her expertise as part of a team that assists people in being as healthy as possible. It's bizarro world!
ReplyDeleteHeh. Rant. Sorry. You have thought of all this. And you are a good communicator, because you have got me feeling it, Girl!
I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this - but I *am* glad that you are continuing to bake baby Gomes and getting the care needed for that. Your co-op friends were thinking of you, thinking of you, thinking of you yesterday! (I am not on the field trip today; Maggie has my Nick).
Thanks for blogging. I get your gratefulness for Internet, and I appreciate your using this way to keep us informed without us bugging you!
Bake, Baby, Bake! (And, Bake baby; bake!)